Wednesday, May 14, 2008



Eating locally


I learned a new word while reading my edible Finger Lakes magazine.

Locavore: someone who prefers to eat food grown or produced locally, usually within a reasonable drive from home.


I love that word! Being that I am vegetarian, it is no wonder the word appealed to me. After reading the definition, I decided that must be what my family and I are.

We are blessed to live in the Finger Lake Region where there is so much fresh produce to be offered to us starting in the Spring.

We are even blessed with many, many wineries along the Finger Lakes. It is a treat to stop by a few of the wineries for a tasting, but I have to admitt that I only do this when we have company. It makes for a fun afternoon and gives our guests something different to do and they also get a great view of gorgeous Cayuga and Seneca Lakes.


We have a goat farm near by Lively Run Goat Farm. They have the most delicious goat's milk cheese. It is such a nice treat in the afternoon on my Kashi Seven Whole Grain crackers or as a grilled cheese with tomatoe.

Then we have the Central New York Regional Market in Syracuse. There is so much going on there that I am like a kid in a candy store. I just love farmer's markets and this one is the best.

We also have Wegmans grocery store. It was voted Best Grocery Store Chain by Food Network last year. They by local produce as well and they have the most delicious foods in their deli, bakery, and meat/seafood departments. I have to make sure I stay within my grocery budget when I am there and let me to you it is hard.


Then we have the fresh asparagus, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, eggs, etc., etc., etc. that we have access to as well. Did I mention homemade ice cream made by the Cayuga Creamery directly from their dairy farm? Although as of late, we like to make our own homemade ice cream using the local fresh ingredients. We also have Byrne Dairy that has milk free from all the additive stuff. We get ours in a glass bottle and the taste is out of this world; now only if they would deliver to my door step as the milk man use to do years ago.

I get so excited when I think of the delicious meals I can cook from all the local foods.


We also have local coffee roasters as well and then there is the New York Culinary and Wine Institute. They teach people how to cook with local foods and what a treat it is.


There is so much to love about the food in the Finger Lake Region. I am so blessed that my family and I are able to enjoy this piece of God's precious world!!


Remember, Our God is an Awesome God!


Blessed be God forever!


Don't forget to say your Rosary today and to continue praying for Melissa and little Ella!
Kimberly

1 comment:

Kathleen Miller said...

What a great post. I almost felt like I was in Paris with your description of great wine, cheese, baked goods and coffee!

Have a great day!

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines Headline Animator