Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tomato Pie

This post is dedicated to my friend, Tina. She introduced me to this wonderful recipe last summer. I loved it from the first bite and continue to make it even with tomatoes from the grocery store. I have shared this recipe of Tina's with many, many other friends and have to say it has always been a "WINNER."
Thanks Tina for the recipe and thanks to all of you who have shared this pie with me at my table.
Today, I will say a special prayer for all of you whom I have shared this pie/recipe with and for all of you who will try this wonderful, delicious recipe!

INGREDIENTS:
Pastry for a 1-crust 9-inch pie, unbaked (I usually brush with evaporated milk, but not everyone I know does this)
4 cups sliced firm ripe tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Fresh leaf basil (makes all the difference in the world) You can either layer the basil with the tomatoes or you can chop the basil and mix with the mayo mixture
1/2 cup mayonnaise
8 oz. Parmesan cheese (or use could use any other type of cheese you may like; a lot of people use Mozzarella, but I prefer fresh parm. that I grate myself)
1 large clove garlic, smashed and minced (use as much garlic as you like; this is just a basic start; I usually use two)

PREPARATION:
Line pie plate with pastry; flute edges and brush shell with evaporated milk.
Bake at 450° for 5 minutes.
Fill the baked pie shell with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil.
Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and minced garlic; spread over the layer of tomatoes.
Bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes, or until tomatoes are cooked and pie is done
I hope you like it!
Let me know what you think and feel free to share your wonderful summer recipes with me as well.
Blessed be God Forever!!

No comments:

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines Headline Animator