Wednesday, July 9, 2008

How Catholic is your home?

I saw this quiz on Therese's blog, The Aussie Coffee Shop.
If you get time and you have never been to her blog, it is well worth the time to stop by for a visit.
She is very warm and caring.
Definitely a person worth saying hi to and reading what she has to say.
Here goes the quiz and I would love to hear your comments on it as well:
How Catholic is your home?
Are morning and night prayers a daily occurrence in your home?
Yes, they are. When we can, we do them together as a family; however, sometimes we are not all home at the same time so we do them with whomever is home and then the others are left to do them on there own. However, I never turn down doing prayers again with those who were not home during family group prayer. We are even known to do prayers over the phone with my husband when he is gone.
Do you say grace before and thanks to God after meals?
Yes, Bless Us O Lord for these thy gifts.
In fact, my 10 year old thinks it might be some kind of crime if we don't pray before meals so he is so good about making sure that no one gets away with not praying.
We tried praying after meals, but it got hard with little ones.
I try to say prayers of thanksgiving during the clean up time so I can distract myself from not enjoying that task.
Do you say a family Rosary every night?
We use to every night, but with all the activities it got hard. We do it every Sunday with no exceptions now. I say the rosary everyday and my husband joins me when he can.
Do you carry a Rosary at all times?
Funny that you ask that since I just put on my running jacket (it is sprinkling here) to go out for my morning exercise and out I pull a rosary from my pocket. I usually have some form of a rosary with me or my car at all times.
I have found saying a decade while waiting for the kids to finish an activity that I am picking them up for is a great use of my time.
Do you wear a religious medal or a scapular?
Yes, we do wear scapulars and religious medals.
.Do you read and discuss the Bible often?
I try to do this often.
Is your home dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus?
We have had our home blessed and we have the Sacred Heart of Jesus picture up along with the Sacred Heart of Mary.
Is there a crucifix hanging in a prominent place?
Yes, we have a crucifix in everyone room of the house and yes, that does mean the bathrooms as well.
For me, I need all the reminding of what Christ did for me so I probably have over did it a little bit with crucifixes in every room, but it works for our family.
Do you ask God’s help in the solution of family problems?
Yes!! Who else better to ask then God and then the intercession of our patron saints and the Blessed Mother and then my prayer warrior friends.
Do you have a sick-call set for Communion or Anointing of the Sick?
No, but I had thought of it before. Thanks for brining it up again.
Do you attend church as a family?
Yes, but with little ones it can be tough. There are times when we must split the who goes to what Mass, but a the majority of the time we are there together.
Do you go to Confession regularly?
We use to go a lot and then life got so busy and that really is no excuse. We are working going on more frequently. Once a month is our family policy, but our deaconis encouraging us to go weekly.
Do the children attend a Catholic school or Catholic religious instruction program?
My oldest graduated from Catholic elementary school and now teaches Religious Education to the 8th graders in our parish and he also teaches confirmation.
My younger son attends R.I. at our parish, but I don't count on them to teach him. My husband and I are his primary instructors and then we have our litte ones that we teach.
Do you have religious instruction at home?
Yes, we take it serious that we are our children's primary religious educators.
Are there Catholic periodicals in your home?
Yes there are many!
Do you have a crib at Christmas?
Yes
Do you send out cards that indicate Christmas is the birth of Christ?
I usually send out a card that is a picture of my children with some type of inscription relating to the Christ child.
Does Christmas mean the coming of Christ or a chance to get gifts?
Coming of Christ!
.Does Easter Sunday mean the resurrection of Christ or new clothes?
Resurrection
Do you ever invite lonesome or needy people into your home?
We do try to do this with some of the elderly at our parish. However, lately we have not been so good about this. Thanks for reminding me to work on this.
Do you ever provide a basket of food to a needy family, not just at Thanksgiving and Christmas but during the rest of the year?We donate to our parishes food bank project. I also will cook more than we need and drop the extras off to an elderly man from our parish since I know he has a hard time cooking since his eye sight is poor. Does that count? I also try to make meals for those who are sick or have sick in their families. I also make meals for those with new babies or newly adopted children in the home. Does that count?
I also try to donate my oldest son's clothing to other teens by giving them to the guidance department at his school so they can distribute them to those they think need them.
Thanks for this quiz. I made me realize that I have a lot to work on.
Blessed be God forever!
How do you fair on the quiz???
Don't forget your rosary!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Just stopped by to say thank you for you visits. They always make me smile...Prayers for Melissa, will get a card soon...And an interesting "quiz"! God bless!! Cathy

Therese said...

oh Kimberly. You made me blush. Thank you for your kind words about me and my blog.

Thanks for doing the quiz too. I enjoyed getting to know you a bit better.

irene said...

Those are all nice things to do. But the "quiz" focuses primarily on externals, and only to a very limited degree on doing what out Lord has commanded. For that reason, it makes me a bit uncomfortable

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines Headline Animator